AGAPE on NC provides adoption services for infants, children, teens, and children with special needs. Our adoption program includes children available from birth parents (only after careful consideration of what is best for them and their child), as well as from the foster care system (when reunification with the birth family is no longer a viable option). It is important to remember that the goal of the adoption process is based on finding the family who can best meet the specific needs of that particular child.
You must be at least 18 years old. You must be fully committed and have realistic expectations. You must demonstrate a willingness to ensure opportunities for the child to fully thrive physically, academically, socially, and emotionally. For our support, you must be a Christian.
- What it will mean to have a child (or children) come into your family
- How this will affect your life (or lives)
- How this will affect the child’s life
- Strong faith
- Recognition of the need to stay in touch with others the child has loved such as foster parents, siblings, teachers, etc.
Steps to Adoption
- Research the aspects of adopting/adoption
- Choose an agency
- Submit an application
- Complete Pre-Placement Assessment (Home Study)
- Work with the agency to find available children
- Submit Home Study to chosen child’s agency
- Visit with your child
- Bring your child home
- Complete Supervisory Period
- Legalize the adoption
Celebrate the new addition to your family!
Steps to Adoption
Confidential Intermediary Services (CIS)
Effective January 1, 2008 amending changes to the law now allows for licensed child-placing agencies, like AGAPE of NC Inc., to act as confidential intermediaries between adult adoptees, adult lineal descendants of a deceased adoptee, parents of adoptees under the age of 21, and biological parents.
When an adoptee, birth parent, lineal descendant or adoptive parent of a child under the age of 21 contacts a licensed child-placing agency regarding CIS, an initial contact and desires are discussed.
If the agency decides to provide CIS then the client completes:
- an Application for Confidential Intermediary Services
- a Confidential Intermediary Agreement
- a Consent to Release Information and/or Contact
- a Release of Liability and Agreement to Hold Harmless
When the client is a lineal descendant of a deceased adoptee, they must provide sufficient documentation to AGAPE to establish lineal descent. Examples include, but are not limited to, birth and death certificates.
- AGAPE will initiate the search by reviewing agency records.
- AGAPE will search and attempt to locate identified parties.
- If located, AGAPE will determine their desire to participate in the sharing of identifying information, updated medical information, and/or personal contact.
- AGAPE will facilitate the sharing of information.
If you or someone you know is interested in locating a birth family member or a child, please contact AGAPE of NC at (919) 673-7816 or KScott@agapeofnc.org.